What is a bus duct?
Bus duct is one of the most important components of electrical busway. Combined with bus duct disconnects, switches, and bus plugs among other components, every bus duct system relies on bus duct to deliver the electricity throughout the system. And when it comes to bus duct sizing, there is a model for everyone. Bus duct comes in a variety of standard sizes that can meet any number of commercial and industrial applications. Bus duct is typically constructed of copper, aluminium, or other highly conductive metals. Bust duct runs come in four varieties: service entrance run, plug-in vertical riser, plug-in horizontal riser, and feeder type tie run. Service entrance runs connect the utility to a switchboard. Vertical and horizontal risers are fed by a switchboard. Feeder type tie runs connect two switchboards.
Types of bus duct.
When we say bus duct is flexible, we’re not kidding. There are a number of different types of bus duct for different applications. Here are some of the most common:
- Non-segregated bus duct is a collection of conductors and other busway components in an enclosure without interphase barriers. Non-segregated bus duct is used for important circuits that you may rely on more than others.
- Segregated phase bus duct is similar to non-segregated bus duct except there are barriers between phases.
- Isolated phase bus duct is used in heavy industrial applications with generators and transformers, and each current is individually enclosed and separated.
- Cast resin bus duct is used across medium and low voltage applications that require the added protection of cast resin.
- Gas insulated bus duct is used in industrial applications where space is at a premium.
- Low voltage or LV bus duct is used in systems rated up to 600V.
- Medium voltage bus duct is used in systems rated between 600V to 69kV.
- Sandwich bus duct is a gapless bus duct system composed of individually insulated conductors that are connected with, and alternate with insulating material in a sandwich type configuration.
For service as reliable and flexible as your bus duct system.
Your bus duct system deserves nothing but the best, and when you shop with Bay Power, you’ll get excellent products combined with excellent service. We stock some of the industry’s leading bus duct manufacturers including Starline bus duct, Square D bus duct, Eaton bus duct, ITE bus duct and Siemens bus duct, Cutler Hammer bus duct, ABB bus duct, along with products from Sentron, GE, Westinghouse, PDI and more. Discover our lineup of products, which all come with Bay Power’s one-year replacement warranty.
Request a Quote
Please fill in the following information or contact us at (800) 699-2980 to request a free quote. Our friendly sales staff would be glad to assist you!