Choosing the right residential breaker for your home
Not all residential circuit breakers are created equal. In fact, there are several different types of residential circuit breakers which can be broadly broken down into the following categories:
- Single-pole: These are used for electrical outlets and light switches, and supply 120V to circuits. They help supply power to most plug-in household items like power tools, hair dryers, and other appliances.
- Double-pole: These supply 240V power to circuits. They’re used for larger household appliances like ranges and stoves, dryers, dishwashers, and water heaters.
- GFCI: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters protect areas where water, people, and electricity might come into contact. They are typically used in bathrooms, kitchens, unfinished basements, and laundry rooms. GFCI’s are available in both 120V and 240V ratings, in single- and double-pole.
- AFCI: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters protect from dangerous arcs that travel outside the intended path that may cause electrical fires. They are now mandatory in most residential dwellings.
- Mini Breakers: Mini circuit breakers have almost completely replaced fuses in low voltage systems, so they are common in residential dwellings. Learn more about MCB’s here.
Residential circuit breaker essentials.
When looking to buy a new circuit breaker for your home, it’s important to know a few specifications, including where you plan on installing it. Knowing the breaker’s frame size, continuous current, rated voltage, interrupting capacity, as well as the number of poles will make sure you get the circuit breaker your home needs.
Your home for all your residential circuit breakers.
Bay Power’s promise to all our customers is to deliver the best in electrical supply hardware. That’s why we carry a broad selection of all types of residential circuit breakers. Whether you’re looking to buy a new GFCI or a refurbished AFCI, you can count on Bay Power to supply you with quality residential circuit breakers from leading circuit breaker brands like Siemens, GE, Westinghouse, Wadsworth, Allen Bradley, Square D, and more.
Request a Quote
Please fill in the following information or contact us at (800) 699-2980 to request a free quote. Our friendly sales staff would be glad to assist you!